No Hitting!

 https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/parenting/family-time/tips-for-dealing-with-an-aggressive-child



I was thinking about posts to make and a friend of mine who has an almost 2 year old and a baby due in June (bless her soul) messages me frantic because her toddler won't stop hitting.  She will only hit her and her grandma not her dad.  I had to think about when my 2 oldest were at that age since they are 23 months apart.  My son was almost 2 and he went through that stage and me, still being a new mom dealt with it the way my parents did, sternly say NO and slap his hand.  Experts say that is a huge no-no and will confuse them.  I was an 80s kid so things have changed drastically since then!

Dr. Sears says that you should use time-outs and model non-aggressiveness.  What if those don't work?  You find other alternatives that don't revolve around violence and aggressiveness. 

Here are some helpful tips to use:

  • Reward charts always worked for my kids.  If they did well they got a sticker or a reward.  Kids love rewards and it makes them proud of themselves.  Positive encouragement works if you make it work.  Thankfully the hitting stage never lasted for my kids because I encouraged love and support.



  • Dolls are a perfect way to encourage love.  Use a doll and say, "Lets hug our baby!" "Baby needs cuddles!".  Animals are also a great way to show affection, "Pet the puppy nicely!".  Loving words and positive actions make loving kids.



  • Praise good behavior!  Say "That was very nice of you to share with your brother/sister!" or "Thank you for petting the cat so gently!"

Always find what works for you.  We all get frustrated and we don't know what to do, sometimes we have to find an outlet where it may be a close friend or relative, books, or articles online.  If it gets to a point where you find you will lose your mind, give yourself a time out.  If you ever feel that you want to use physical force please find someone to talk to.  We all have been there!

1-855- 4A PARENT
(1-855-427-2736)

Take care of yourself and others!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clowns? Really?

New kitty

Breakfast and study crunch